Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grants Needed

How effective were your actions in helping you meet your goals?
Not very. I am still unable to do much with technology due to the limited availablity to technology at my school.

What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice?
I am learning that I am not the only one in this situation and that other people are trying to answer the same questions and solve the same problems. It seems as though the solution is grant writing. There is money out there to be had and I have to find it.

What do you still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I need to figure out what technology grants are available and what I need to do to apply for them. I need to learn how to write a good grant and what resources to go to for information.

How will you adjust your plan to fit your current needs?
It seems as though my plan is going to have to become less about actually integrating technology and more about acquiring the technology to use. I have to learn where to find grants and how to effectively write them so my students can gain access to technology despite the community's indifference to the resources availabel to their children.

3 comments:

  1. Ben,

    As I have commented before... I feel your pain. My school just subscribed to Brainpop.com and I will be giving a breakout session on it during our next PD. I am preparing myself to be on the receiving end of lots of complaining that its a great resource... if only we had some access to computers! The computer in my classroom - I own, the projector in my classroom - I own, the subscriptions to web sites - I paid for. In the log run it has made my life better on a daily basis and I am a better teacher.

    Here are links to some grant possibilities:

    http://www.grants4teachers.com/

    http://www.unc.edu/depts/cmse/grantopp.html

    http://www.teacherscount.org/teacher/grants.shtml

    Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ben,

    I can relate to your situation. There are so many schools that have limited technology. For example, in my school we have 2 computers to a classroom, if your lucky you have 3. Personally, this is really frustrating especially since as educators we are encouraged to teach 21st Century skills to our students. How can we do this without the proper equipment or enough equipment to support this type of instruction for our students.

    I think it is great you are taking the step in writing grants to provide your school with the proper technology they need. Have you had any progress researching the websites Molly listed above? Good Luck!

    Thanks,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete